Reykjavik's The Living Art Museum and gallery Kling and Bang are to move into a historic harbour-side building together. They will be joined by Ólafur Elíasson who will occupy new studios on the top floor, adding a third base to compliment the artist's operations in Copenhagen and Berlin. Named the Marshall húsið (Marshall House), the building was built in 1948 funded by Marshall Aid, the post-war assistance given to Icelanders by the US. IceNews notes it served as a herring factory for half a decade but has \nstood empty for a number of years. Architects Ásmundur Hrafn Sturluson and Steinþór Kári Kárason will work on the refurbishment.
The artist-run Living Art Museum was \nfounded in 1978. Kling and Bang was formed by ten artists in 2003. It moved out of its old premises last year and has been homeless since.
4 February 2016.
Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that the building was originally designed by Ásmundur Hrafn Sturluson and Steinþór Kári Kárason. They are in fact the contemporary architects working on the refurbishment.